A synthetic turf surface at Shrewsbury High School is the only solution that offers our students, athletes and community what is needed most in a playing surface:
• All season, all weather access
• Multi-sport playability
• High-impact safety
With our high demand for use and adverse New England weather, no natural grass field will meet these needs.
Let’s make turf fields a reality for all of our athletes!
THANK YOU, SHREWSBURY!!
WE DID IT!
Nearly half of our Midland Wachusett League opponents now have synthetic turf fields because of their inherent benefits.
Synthetic turf offers numerous benefits including:
• Increased playability – New England weather, especially in years with an excessive amount of snow or rain, can make natural grass fields unusable for many months. Turf fields can be used even in the typically wet months of early spring and late fall.
• Lower maintenance costs – Synthetic turf fields need minimal maintenance, saving fuel and labor costs and allowing Shrewsbury Parks and Recreation personnel to tend to other fields in town.
• Pesticide and fertilizer free maintenance – Artificial turf does not require treatment with pesticides and fertilizers.
• Fewer injuries – Synthetic turf provides a playing surface that remains consistent, making play safer. It also has better shock attenuation, meaning the surface will better absorb impact, thus protecting our athletes from greater harm.
• Discourages wild animal congregation – In Shrewsbury we have a serious problem with geese congregating on our natural grass fields. Geese will not eat synthetic turf therefore our fields will be free from the nuisance and pollutants from geese and other wild animals.
• Saves water – Natural grass requires thousands of gallons of water weekly. Turf only needs watering in extremely hot temperatures.