Let’s make turf fields a reality for all of our athletes!
(This video was taken March 9, 2017, after just the fall season of soccer and football.)
The Stadium field and track at Shrewsbury High School are original to the school. They have not been replaced since the school opened almost 15 years ago. Although it has been maintained to the greatest extent that our town budget and staffing levels allow, the grass field is in poor overall condition by mid-October every year.
A study by Gale Associates in June 2015 stated:
• The turf is in fair to poor condition; major depressions run along both sidelines
• Bald spots limit traction and drainage issues erode the surface
• The latex track surfacing is excessively worn and cracked and is beyond repair
• Running lanes and take-off boards are worn; excessive plant growth has resulted in detachment of latex track surfacing.
To protect the fragile surface, field access is severely limited:
• The high school Fall Sports game schedule has limited home games
• No Spring sports are played on the Stadium Field
• No Physical Education classes can use the Stadium Field
• Youth sports teams are unable to use the Stadium Field
• District Track Meets are no longer held due to the condition of the tract
The current condition of the Stadium Field and track diminishes the playing experience of our athletes and significantly limits usage.
THANK YOU, SHREWSBURY!!
WE DID IT!